Sunday, September 14, 2008

Any Predictions? Place your bets? -- Wks 61 - 63, August 24 - September 13, 2008

Although our builder hoped it would be true, getting a certificate of occupancy just isn't going to happen by tomorrow. It might not even happen by the end of the month, but I feel confident we will be settled in by Thankgiving!

If you haven't heard yet, we plan to give our 30 day renter's notice on the 15th or the 30th of the month depending on which is closest to when we get the certificate of occupancy so that we will have a full month to move in and do what we have to do to move out of our rental.

We hoped a lot more would have been done by the time we got back from WA on 9/8, but with the holiday and some very heavy rains while we were gone, it was not to be. So here's what I can show you for the 3-week period covered by this post.

Appliances

You may remember that the rangehood is already in as well as the base of the cooktop. The rest of the kitchen appliances were delivered while we were there on Monday, the 8th (yes, we did go almost straight to the house after getting back from WA). Here the guys are unloading the congelador. That's the freezer. I just love the Spanish name for it.

I'm not sure if these count as appliances, but the furnace, hot water heater and water softener are all in now.
Sinks

The utillity sinks are in. This is mine, mine, mine. It's in the garage and will be the one I will use for gardening, dog washing and whatever other messy work I might do. Eventually, there will be counters of some sort on both sides of it. The 13 foot stainless steel piece we got a couple of years ago won't fit between this sink and the water softener to the left, but I'm sure we will find a good place and use for it.

This is Trout's in the shop. It's his, his, his. I'm not sure what he plans to do in the way of a counter here. He doesn't have a lot of room with wall behind it, but he does have a lot of nothing to the right of it that he can do something with.
This is his shop bath sink. It was a free one Joan got from Lowe's when the one she ordered didn't arrive on time. Free is good.

Hardware

Many posts ago I put in pictures of the door handles we picked out. Now they are on the doors. This is the front door one. They are kind of rustic and feel great to the hand. You may remember that the 1st choice for looks was not the 1st choice for feel. This was our 1st choice for feel and 2nd choice for looks.
Here's an interior handle.

Color Prep

Now for all of you who have wondered, "What are they thinking?", gaze back upon the entryway star. Breathe deeply. Focus on the star. You are starting to understand. It is all coming together. By the way, the light isn't actually on here. That's the solatube shining through it.
All along I planned to have some accent walls in various locations around the house. At first I thought I would paint them. Then I decided to let the pros do it. I managed to catch one of the painters on Friday cutting in the color on this one behind the master bath tub and toilet.
By the next time we went over, he had finished it. This is on the same color path as the wall behind the range in the kitchen. It's just one shade lighter. It's called Spanish Peanut.
Here is Trout checking to see if this toilet flushes yet. It does.
After seeing how bright my vanity lights are, I decided to use the same color behind my vanity mirror on the light wall. It will keep it from being so bright and the warm color will make me look better than I actually do. Over time I plan to fill this wall and perhaps part of the side walls with other Mexican mirrors and milagros I collect. It should be interesting.
This is the accent wall that will be behind our bed. The color looks a little funky in this picture due to the reflection, but it is very similar to the Pomegranate of the shop.
This picture many represent it a little better. My feng shui book said we needed pink or red and gray or silver in this room. No remedies needed here now.
The office got two adjacent accent walls. I love bluegreens of all types. And by feng shui guidelines this room along with the guest room should be blue and/or green. I also wanted this room to be darker and more study-like.
This is a good example of camera error and lighting differences. The color is actually more like this than the blue above.
But where's the blue or green in the guest room? It will all be in the bedding, draperies, etc. This accent wall is the same Spanish Peanut as in the master bath. The bed will go between these two windows. When we get our own bed done or bought, the one that will go here is the one we use now. It's pine. I thought it would be lost on the yellow wall, but it will contrast nicely with this light terra cotta color.
This is the back hall wall between the laundry and the master bedroom. Except for the guest bath, what we have the least of in the house is green. That's not such a bad thing because we have lots of green outside that we see through all those windows, but we both thought having a green accent wall somewhere would be a good thing. It is anticipated by a green countertop and backsplash in the laundry.
This is what it looks like from the living area. You may also notice that the pendant lights finally have shades. I'm not fond of recessed lighting and we only have it in places (like bathrooms) where codes wouldn't allow anything else. But I do like to see what I'm doing, so we have lots of light in the kitchen area.
These are our friends, Don and Patsy, hanging out in the kitchen. You can see the blue accents here behind Don. That big blue nicho to his left will house the desk I got in Santa Fe. It's also pine and would've been lost on the yellow wall. The box to his right is where the freezer and refrigerator will go. The trim that will make them look like they are lah-de-dah builtins instead of Kenmores is to his right.
The kitchen sink is coming along here. It looks fabulous.
Here's a closeup of what the interior is like. To the left of the pullout faucet is a soap dispenser. No more GoJo on the kitchen counter. That will be limited to the garage and shop. The little faucet you can barely see to the right of the big one is for the reverse osmosis system. So not only will we have a water softener for the whole house, but we also will have filtered water at the sink and for the ice supply in the freezer. Both those systems will help keep the calcium deposits down and improve the taste of the water.
Here's a picture of the cooking wall with the lights.
We've been waiting forever to see how the fireplace would look painted blue. The day finally arrived this past week. I've seen many fireplaces down here with decorative painting on them. We still may do that later, but I want to wait to see if it will be needed after the furniture is in, the bancos have their pads, the curtains are up, etc.
This is the mural that is on the front porch to the left of the front door. We made a place for it in the stucco, and it's perfect. Dave (our builder) put it in and now all that has to happen is the grouting.
These handpainted tile murals are fairly common down here. This is the smallest size. They can be very large and take up the better part of an entire wall. Most are pretty primitive like this one. The mural itself consists of the twelve 4" center tiles. We added the 2" ones around it to frame it and make it a little bigger. The ones in the corners are 2" versions of the ones on my vanity.
And we'll end on an unfortunate mistake. Trout did this beautiful and creative tin work for the top section of the linen closet door, but Kelly and he accidentally made the door for a taller cabinet. So they are going to have to make a new door. Today Trout said it's small enough to just need one panel. Kelly may end up using this mistake for his examples or we might just hang it on the wall as art.
So that's where we are now. There still are many details to finish and mistakes to correct, but we are getting very close. I'd better get busy with my curtain-making.

4 comments:

helgaruth said...

Everything looks so beautiful. I love the colors. I've always envied your ability to put the bold together and the way you pull it off. I have a spouse in love with neutrality and my attempts to add color have not been too successful. I don't know though - he did paint our laundry room lime green. There may be some hope. It looks wonderful. I can't wait to see the effect as you bring in you furniture and other fittings. In the words of Mr. T. "I love it when a plan comes together".

Lee said...

The cabinet door is a beautiful skyscape. It would be a shame to let it go to waste!

Hilary said...

I'm just wondering if the lights are on a pulley system so you can raise them up a few extra inches if some tall person, say a son or something, happened to visit? Just kidding. It looks like you put them pretty high. I get a good laugh when I visit my parents' house these days, because all their hanging lights are pulled all the way up to the ceiling. Never was a problem before I married into height. :)

Lo said...

Well, let's see. All the ceilings are 10 feet. The pendant lights and fans are at 8 feet or higher, except the ones directly over the counters which are a little lower. So unless Lee or Aaron stick their hands into the fans, they should be okay. My 6'7" and 7'3" cousins might have to watch it, though. Even I had a problem with the low hanging fan in the middle of the bedroom of the 1st place we lived here. I couldn't pull anything on or off over my head under it without hitting the fan blades.